Saturday, October 4, 2008

Randy Pausch

WOW! This lecture was a bit lengthy, but the message was awesome. Professor Pausch revealed his passion for teaching and he proposed techniques for reaching students. He felt that there are some key attributes in enabling students to learn.

Many techniques to successful learning were mentioned in his lecture. He explained that "Brick walls are there for a reason". We all run into brick walls, but instead of giving up, we should look for ways to climb over, knock them down, or go around. Pausch expressed that the brick walls simply "help to show dedication".

Another technique that was mentioned was "Always find the best in everyone". His instructions were to keep looking within students and adults until you find something good in them. I try to use this technique when I substitute. There is always a student that I get warned about, but instead of going into the classroom expecting the worst from that student, I go in with a good attitude, expecting the same from them. I do manage to find good qualities in every student. There are a lot of students who do not get blessed with loving/caring parents like he did. Parents do make a difference!

I really enjoyed watching his web cast. I look forward to using his techniques/ideas in my classroom. His ways of thinking are a great asset to teachers. I almost cried when he had the audience sing "Happy Birthday" to his wife.

No comments: