Wednesday, September 24, 2008

iPod Use in Instruction

No one in my family owns an iPod, so I was really unfamiliar with what they can do other than play music. During my research of iPod use, I discovered that this little instrument can be very helpful in the education setting. I find it amazing that students can use iPods for educational purposes. In the school where I currently substitute, bringing iPods to school is against the rules. Students can download lots of information that could help with better study habits, podcasts, language classes, educational games, and more.

Duke University has started incorporating iPod usage into many of the courses being taught. According to the Duke News Website, the university gives iPods to students who enroll in a class that requires an iPod. When Duke started passing out free iPods, every first year student received one. Now, they have developed a new strategy for receiving the free iPod, which is the specific course enrollment. Technology is exploding and Duke is setting a new example for other universities to follow.

iPods and Learning

No comments: