Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Is Wikipedia Reliable?

This blog assignment was my introduction to Wikipedia. Since I was unfamiliar with Wikipedia, I decided that I needed to explore the website before forming an opinion. After viewing some of the topics posted, I have decided that Wikipedia could be very useful to those who are researching certain topics. My husband said he is very impressed with Wikipedia. He uses the website to research information in the medical field regularly.

I do have some concerns with Wikipedia. If anyone can edit information, then problems that should be made known could actually be hidden. Such as a drug that is causing complications to a patient. The drug companies would not want this to be public knowledge. Also, someone could go in and add false information about topics just to misguide people. My daughter, who is in the 7th grade, said that her teachers do not feel that Wikipedia is reliable. They are not confident that the information is accurate. I can see the advantages and the disadvantages. I am sure that the more popular Wikipedia becomes, the more accurate the information will be.

No comments: